The proposed Joint Ministerial Decision (JMD) for the reduction of plastic bags’ consumption
On Friday, June 23rd, 2017, the 4th stakeholders’ Consultation Forum was successfully held.
The forum, which took place in Panteion University, under the auspices of the Ministry of Environment and the Hellenic Recycling Agency (HRA), was attended by participants of all the stakeholders involved with the subject. Namely: representatives of the Ministry of Environment, of the Hellenic Recycling Agency, of plastic bag production associations and industries, of all major supermarket chains, of environmental organizations, of researchers from various universities and institutes and others.
The fourth forum focused on the evaluation and consultation of the final draft of the upcoming Joint Ministerial Decision (JMD) for the harmonization of the national legislation with the Directive (EU) 720/2015, as proposed by the Ministry of Environment and the Hellenic Recycling Agency.
Through the presentations and the dialogue that followed, all the subjects’ parameters have been presented and thoroughly analyzed. Particular emphasis was given on:
- the international experience gained by implementing policy measures to reduce the use of plastic bags
- the evaluation of policy measures implemented for the reduction of plastic bags’ consumption in Greece
- the key points of the Joint Ministerial Decision for the harmonization of Greece with Directive (EU) 720/2015
- the results of LIFE DEBAG’s monitoring on the plastic bag load in the marine environment of Greece
- the impact of plastic bags in the circular economy.
The dialogue was recorded and the minutes of the 4th Forum are available to all interested parties.